I came across this decadent recipe for pecan squares and have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make them. These are probably the most unhealthy food I’ve ever made, but they just sounded so excellent, especially the ooey gooey part. I mean, look at the picture that comes with the recipe:
Definitely a dish to share with many others, so you don’t end up eating all that butter, eggs and sugar yourself.
Ooey Gooey Pecan Squares
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups packed brown sugar
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Make sure there is an overhang of paper to allow for removing from pan after baked.
ready for the oven
2. In medium bowl, combine flour and granulated sugar, cutting in butter with pastry blender until crumbly (I just combined everything into my food processor). Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes (or until very light golden brown on edges).
tons of butter, sugar & eggs - plus pecans!
3. In bowl, mix melted butter and eggs, blending in brown sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir in pecans and pour over base. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched. *It should not feel firm–it’s really important that you don’t overbake, or they won’t be “ooey gooey.”
fresh out of the oven - the consistency reminded me of a liquid marshmallow
4. Let cool on rack, then cover and refrigerate until very firm. Using the parchment overhang, remove from baking pan and place on cutting board. Cut into squares.
5. Keep refrigerated until about an hour before you need them, if you can (they get really gooey otherwise, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). They can also be frozen (and they really do taste delicious right out of the freezer!).