My friend Eunice made the most amazing mac n cheese last week, and ever since I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. She went out of town, so I wasn’t able to get her exact recipe, but she did mention that hers used a mix of extra sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese. So, this was my version…
Mac n Cheese with Gruyere
- 8 oz short pasta
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup canned vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups (packed) grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cups (packed) grated gruyere cheese
1. Cook macaroni in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Mix 1/2 tablespoon with breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Add flour to remaining butter; whisk over medium heat 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Add green onions. Whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
3. Preheat broiler. Mix macaroni into sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle crumbs over. Broil until crumbs brown, about 2 minutes, and serve.
Thoughts: Very good, for some reason I especially like that you get to bake your dish in a pie pan, but my friend Eunice’s was still amazingly better. One day I will get her recipe and hopefully, post it on this here blog.